Let’s face it: toilets are a requirement and something we definitely take for granted. Although toilets are designed for longevity and normally don’t need to be replaced for at least 10-15 years, sometimes things can change and a sooner replacement may be required. Here, we’ve listed a few tips to help you decipher whether your toilet needs to be repaired or replaced.
When to Repair Your Toilet:
- Your Toilet’s Water Isn’t Filling Up and is Always Low – Toilet water should always remain at a consistent level. If you notice your toilet not filling back up completely or that the water volume lessens with each flush, we recommend that you contact a professional to come and take a look.
- Your Toilet is Always Running – Is your toilet making sounds that are similar to an ongoing waterfall? This is caused by the water from the tank continuously running. Not only is this annoying, it’s also isn’t necessary. Normally, this occurs when the flapper is stuck after being pushed down or when the flapper is not sealed correctly. If this is the situation, a replacement will need to be made.
- Your Toilet Won’t Flush – Have you made multiple attempts to flush your toilet and it just won’t work? This isn’t something anyone wants to face. Your toilet can be affected by multiple reasons that can cause it to not flush. Some possibilities may include: a broken flapper, not enough water in the tank or even a broken chain. If any of these are the reasoning, a repair may need to occur.
- Your Toilet Clogs Frequently – Do you find yourself frequently unclogging your toilet? This can be caused by various things including items that should not be flushed getting caught in the drain, pipe issues, an old toilet, etc.
When to Replace Your Toilet:
As much as we’d love to save money, sometimes a replacement is required. Below are clues that it’s time for a new toilet:
- There’s a Porcelain Crack – Cracks on toilets aren’t common, but when they do occur the only way to fix it is by replacing it. Cracks can also lead to dirt being built up, which cause smells and lead to bacteria buildup.
- Your Toilet Constantly Needs Repairs – If you are spending more time fixing your toilet than using it, it may be a sign that it needs to go.
We hope that these tips are useful in pinpointing what next steps to take if your toilet is malfunctioning and not giving you the proper use that you need. For any questions about our toilet replacement and repair services, feel free to reach out to us at any time!